Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Zucchini Quiche


First of all, I have to say that I am a sucker for a tasty picture even if I have no idea on how to make it.  This comes from joining groups from Italy and Brazil just to see the recipes and pictures of them and maybe try to make them myself.  As it often happens, though, I post a picture of something that looks good or interesting and am asked how to make it.  I hate to put up a pic and then say I have no idea and leave it at that.  In this case, an old friend from Michigan, Margaret Rogers-Miller, asked for the recipe and I told her I would translate from Italian (turns out it's in Portuguese, but small matter) and post it.   As it turns out, there are ingredients that are only available in Brazilian markets, something, I'm sure, that are lacking in the Battle Creek, Michigan area, most notably the boxed cream.  But not to be a quitter (I'm always up for a challenge in the kitchen) I have concocted what I think will work for this using substitutions.
I will not give a crust recipe here because I know a lot of people have their own and probably even more opt out for the ones in the dairy case.  If you are in the former group, I take my hat off to you and direct you to add two tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese to the pie dough.  (And not the stuff in the green can, either!!!!!!)
Also, grated zucchini is really full of water and my method of draining is to put it in a kitchen towel, roll it up and twist it at both ends over the sink forcing the water out.  And put some muscle into it!  (Pretend you're wringing the neck of an ex that you really detest....rsrsrs)

Zucchini Quiche


Crust for a 9-inch pie
3 small zucchini, grated and wrung dry
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup diced mozzarella
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375°F
Place crust in a pie pan or torte pan with a removable bottom
Mix together all the ingredients except the parmesan cheese and pour into the crust smoothing out evenly.
Sprinkle with the parmesan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until top in brown and custard set.
Let cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment