Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pink Shrimp Sauce


I spend way too  much time looking for a picture of the recipe for Pink Shrimp Sauce over fresh papardelle which I definitely remember having and vaguely remember deleting because I didn't like the way it looked.  So I ended up using this picture that looks like the love child of a shrimp and a lobster.  (These things frighten me.  But I am sure the Frankenfood folks are working on it even as I type.)  But I will not bother you further with my freakish pondering but move ahead with this delicious recipe for what has to be my favorite seafood because of the way it lends itself to so many different treatments this pasta sauce, from Essentials of Italian Classic Cooking by Marcella Hazan being but one.
This works well on dried boxed linguine but I really like it best on a homemade papardelle.




Pink Shrimp Sauce with Cream

1/2 pound medium shrimp
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste dissolved in 1/2 cup dry white wine (I use vermouth)
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup cream
1 pound pasta
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Shell shrimp and cut in half lengthwise
Saute garlic and olive oil in a saucepan briefly. Add tomato paste/wine solution and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes
Add shrimp, salt and pepper and increase heat to medium high cooking just until shrimp are done. Remove pan from heat.
Remove 2/3 of the shrimp and puree them in a food processor.
Return them to the pan and reheat. Add cream and cook for about one minute. Taste and correct for seasoning.
Toss with pasta, add parsley and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment