Sunday, July 24, 2011

Zucchini Hanger-on From Last Week






While cleaning out files today, I noticed a recipe that I forgot to include...Mexican Zucchini.

As I stated on the show, I haven't tried this recipe but I can certainly vouch for it and the book it came out of...Mexican Cooking by the California Culinary Academy. Woefully, the book is now out of print. What's even sadder is that this was only one of their books that I purchased. They used to have them available at Falletti's market which is, sadly too, now defunct.

I'm very grateful that I have this one as I've not found a recipe in it that I didn't absolutely love.
So, without further bravado or delay, here is the recipe.

Zucchini with Chili and Cheese

Half an onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbls butter
1 tomato, chopped
3 large green mild chilies, roasted, peeled and seeded and chopped or 1 4-oz can diced green chilies
1/4 tsp dried oregano
3 Tbs water
1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/3 cup grated jack cheese

In a large skillet, saute' onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add tomato, chilies, and oregano and cook until the tomato is soft. Stir the water into the vegetables and add the zucchini. Cover and cook until the zucchini is tender.
Sprinkle the cheese over the vegetables, cover and cook until the cheese is melted. Gently stir in cheese and serve.









No comments:

Post a Comment